Monday, February 27, 2012

 Homework is Not a Waste of Time       By: Duckboy
   A killer hyena shattered my window, glass shards flying everywhere as it busted into my house, its claws shining as they aimed straight at my face. I thought fast, holding my homework over my face, causing the hyena's claws to bounce harmlessly off my homework's indestructible surface. Well, maybe homework can't do THAT, but it has many great purposes aside from that, making it definitely not a waste of time.
   I had almost given up trying to remember, feeling my life float away, just how my memory of my previous school work had, when a miracle flashed through the sky and landed at my fingertips- homework. One of many great uses, homework should continue in existence due to the fact that it helps students to review the work that they had done previously in the day, so that the students cease to forget what they have learned. For example, if someone was trying to memorize a line from a book or something like that, the best way to do that would be to read over the line many times, until it is completely memorized. Quite similar to memorizing school work- it can be done once in class, but for maximum retrospection of the day's work, homework should be completed.
   Of course, all of you parents should gain from our homework, too- and, in fact, you can! For not only do us students think: BONUS! when we receive homework (which, believe it or not, we do, since we know we can't fail if we treat homework as a study sheet), all of you parents learn, too. Though not in the way you might expect- parents learn what we students are accomplishing at school; what our curriculum is, since it is a FACT that the curriculum changes every year, or perhaps ALMOST every year. Parents can also keep in mind how the work is being taught to us students through homework.
   Now that I have homework…I could be UNSTOPPABLE! I will LOSE ALL DEPENDENCE of teachers and classmates! I can RULE the GALAXY! That's… not exactly what homework can do for you, though it helps students to gain independence, losing dependence of other people, like teachers to help them out, and other students to explain to them what to do. So, why is that necessary? Well, when we grow up, we don't have a teacher or other guys to help us out- we have to find our own ways through our careers, like me; when I become a professional snowboarder, lacrosse, and hockey player, who's going to tell me what trick to perform, or when my next game is?
  
   It helps us students to review our work. It helps parents to discover what we kids are learning, as well as helping us to gain independence. Yeah, I think we can all agree on one thing- homework is not a waste of time. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear duck-boy,
    I really liked how your started off your essay, I thought it was really creative especially when you stated "its claws shining as they aimed straight at my face. I thought fast, holding my homework over my face, causing the hyena's claws to bounce harmlessly off my homework's indestructible surface". The beginning made me want to read much more. I also liked how you have supporting information, like in paragraph two where he stated "For example, if someone was trying to memorize a line from a book". I think you could have used a quote to make your essay improve. You also need one more paragraph since you only have five when you where supposed to have six. Overall your essay was very well written and also very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Duckboy,
    I think that you had a great hook in your essay and that it had a clincher, I was hooked on this essay almost the whole way through. You could improve your essay by adding some quotes from somebody in a book or on the internet and you could also and maybe through in some jaw-dropping facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear simon,
    Your topic totally grabbed my attention. I love how you incorporated your "imagination" so to say. I liked how you added information to support you opinion. One thing you should try to do is use quotes and you should also always remember so add a capital letter when starting a new sentence. Fantastic Job simon!

    ReplyDelete