Friday, February 24, 2012

Helena's Lent Paragraph

Lent
Name: Helena
Teacher: Ms. Babb
Date: Friday February 24, 2012
                           Lent is a time when we sacrifice something we love for Jesus. As
Catholics we give up something for 40 days starting from Ash Wednesday. We are doing this because in those 40 days, Jesus travelled alone through a desert without food or water. He did this to make
himself, his spirit stronger. Those 40 days was when Jesus was tempted to do anything. Once the devil showed up to him, he wanted him to make him turn something into bread or fall off a high ledge and save
himself. The devil made so many promises to Jesus, but Jesus denied  every single promise just to make him stronger. After I heard this story, I was surprised how Jesus can withstand without food and water
for 40 days straight, walking through a hot, dry desert. I couldn't do that, I might die. We're mortal and he is immortal. Mortal meaning we will die someday but Jesus is immortal meaning he will not die. On the
starting of Lent, which was Ash Wednesday, priests burn the palms from last year and it becomes ashes. They put those ashes on our forehead to symbolize that we are born from ashes, and that we will turn into
ashes once again. When the priests say that while they put ashes on our foreheads, I didn't know what that meant. I remembered when Jesus made Adam, the first human on earth, from dust and just by blowing
onto the dust, he became human. That is maybe why the priests said that to us because Jesus made us from dusts. Since we're mortals, we are born from dust and will turn into dust again meaning we will die
someday in our life. In respect for Jesus, I'm giving up something that I go on daily which is Facebook. I don't love Facebook, but it'ssomething that is my daily routine when I come home from school. I decided to give it up for 40 days because I think it will make me astronger and better person. I realized that it's not something I need every day in my life; it's just something that entertains me and lets me talk to my friends and family through the internet. Lent is giving me a chance to get stronger and I'm using this chance for an opportunity for me to do so.
--

No comments:

Post a Comment