Wednesday, February 29, 2012

As our class wiki is down (wikispaces !!!) , I am posting the success criteria for a persusaive essay .

Success Criteria for Writing a Persuasive Essay
Introduction
  • Is the topic of the essay clearly stated in the introduction.
  • Is my  opinion / belief clearly explained in the introduction?
Is there a hook that grabs my reader’s attention in my introduction?
  • Do I list/mention the different supporting details or reasons   in the introduction?
Conclusion
  • Is there a clincher statement in my last concluding paragraph? Is it strong?
  • Do I summarize or restate the arguments/reasons in my conclusion ?
  • Do I restate my thesis ( the topic of the essay) ?
Body
  • Do I have three body paragraphs?
  • Does each body paragraph have a clear, well- developed argument that supports your opinion/thesis?
  • Is it in the present tense?
  • Does it use logical connectives?e.g. because, consequently, as a result, however, nevertheless etc.
  • Does it use emotive language (e.g. strong adjectives)?
  • Does it force the opinion by challenging the reader? e.g. using adverbs and phrases; Clearly, Surely, Obviously, Everyone knows that.. etc
  • Do I use rhetorical questions?
  • Do I try to make opinions sound like facts?
  • Do I use quotes from experts or statistics to support ?

No comments:

Post a Comment