Friday, November 25, 2011

Memorial Experiences at Teen Ranch


Name: Helena
Date: Friday November 25, 2011
Teacher: Ms. Babb
   
        Have you ever had a school trip that you will remember for your entire life? Well I have! Many memories and experiences lie within the most unforgettable trip ever. This trip, dare I say it, is named Teen Ranch. Teen Ranch is the first and most extraordinary camp I've ever been to that has food, cabins, activities, and much more!

         First, I thought the food wasn't good, but obviously, I was wrong. Each food that they made had such a unique flavour to it. If I were to rate it, I would rate it 4 out of 4 just because if I rated it bad, I'd regret me doing that. I was in the red group which meant that we were first to set up the tables 15 minutes before and after lunch and dinner. Some people thought setting up was "boring" but I thought the opposite. Setting up felt as if I was on the farm! We had to set the tables up with the usual. After lunch, certain people did certain jobs. All of us had to wash, soap, dry, and vacuum. I had to ask the staff a bunch of times to see if any of the deserts had peanuts or any kinds of nuts. The staff said, "Don't worry, all the deserts that we make have no traces of nuts!" and I was relieved to hear that. I'd say food was my 2nd favourite part of Teen Ranch.

        Being in a cabin was pretty hectic, if I do say so myself! Being with friends, handing out, out in the outdoors just enjoying wonderful cabin life! In our cabin, we have our own responsibilities. We have to take care of ourselves and clean up after ourselves. If we see one of our friend's spaces that aren't cleaned, then they do it, not me. I find that responsibility pretty fair. At night, things became pretty scary and funny at some points. We saw finger prints and an "X" on our door, this happened on the last night of Teen Ranch. Kimberley and I knew it was a prank but the others didn't, so we kept it to ourselves. Few nights before, the toilet got clogged and we all kind of panicked. We called in for one of the teachers for help and it was all good. Well, I guess being in a cabin takes a lot of responsibility but lots of fun.
   
        I was excited right when we go to do the activities. Skating; fun, horse back riding; awesome, rock climbing; scary, then had its points where it was thinking time, Frolf; very interesting, and last but not least, Predator and Prey; a real challenge. Skating wasn't that easy in the beginning. I didn't want to fall but then I fell 2 times. It turns out, falling is part of learning! Horseback riding, my childhood dream, was scary when you first get on the horse. My heart was racing when I got on to my horse. I had all these questions rushing into my head, "What if I fall? Why is it so high? Will we run away from where we were supposed to go?" But when Agatha told us what to do, I got it and it was pretty easy. Rock climbing had lots of thinking to it. I thought that it was smart because you have to think of where to go. When I was climbing, I got stuck halfway. I blanked out for a second and I didn't know what to do. I looked everywhere for rocks to climb and I didn't give up! I reached the top and climbed down. Mr. Samler said that I had perseverance and determination. Frolf was such a unique game. It's a mix between frisbee and golf. I had so much fun but at some points, it was getting annoying, but I kept going! Predator and prey had the feeling like I was an animal! Lots of work to it!  Now I know that animals have a hard life. Activities, I rate you as #1 out of all!

         Embarrassing, shocking, scary, fun, tasty, magnificent, unique; Words describing activities that I haven't done before and some that I have done before. Night #1; Movie Night. For movie night, we watched Karate Kid. It was happy, romantic, funny, and sad at points. I already watched the movie so I knew what happens. Night #2; Karaoke/Dance-off. Pretty Wild! We had to verse each cabin group, and it turned out that we won! Sadly, there was no prize to it. Night #3; Bonfire/Dance Party. Bonfire was kind of scary but hilarious and delicious! Scary, because people told ghost stories and we knew that people were probably going to prank us. Hilarious and delicious because we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows and we told jokes sometimes too. The dance was a bit nerve racking because it was loud and it gave me a headache and I lost my voice just because I was sick. But other than that, it was amazing!

        Sharing these momentous stories makes me happy. I made space in my heart just to cherish these extraordinary experiences and share it with you. Encountering many unique and challenging activities, astonishing food, and great cabins were each part of a complete trip that I've ever been to. All of these memories will stay in my heart, forever.


2 comments:

  1. Dear Helena,
    Your essay on Teen Ranch was descriptive. It also had great word choice. Some of the sentences where a bit unclear but most of it very well done
    From:Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Helena,
    Your essay on Teen Ranch was mind-blowing. You reall know how to write an attention grabbing paragraph. The amount of descriptive words in your essay were good. I think on what you should work on is just try and make some sentences more clear and explain them more. Other than that you did really good.

    ReplyDelete