Tuesday, April 24, 2012

journal entry

April
Journal

Teacher: Ms. Babb
Name: Helena
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012

            I always wondered when I would go to university or college. I would think it would be a gigantic place, a school but a lot larger, and there would be a ton of people. That's how I thought about it when I was young. I would always pretend to go to University or College at home, acting like a teacher and teaching my pretend students. That's how my big imagination was. I would say that everyone would love to go to university or college just like Heather, Holling's sister. During dinner in the Hoodhood's 'Perfect' house, heather talks about wanting to go to a college called "Columbia College." But, Mr. Hoodhood does not allow her to go because the school is on a strike to protest against the Vietnam War and racism, which means, no classes are going to be in session. Mr. Hoodhood did not allow her to go to college for many reasons. The most important one was that he wanted to keep her safe from that entire riot that is happening there. He also does not want her to go to college because she already has a job here, which is working as a secretary at Hoodhood and Associates. With Mr. Hoodhood's reasons, I strongly think that he is both right and wrong. Parents should care about their children when they are moving out, or in this case, moving in to college. Things could happen to them, so he is just being protective. I also think he is wrong because even if she has a job, children need to learn new things, which are the purpose of going to college. But I think Mr. Hoodhood's attitude towards Heather is like most parents today. He reminds me of my parents sometimes, but not about the fact about him caring about his job than caring about his children. Overall, I think Mr. Hoodhood should put her into college for intelligence and for her to be a more responsible young adult and as a student.

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment